Does exercise help a bulging lumbar disc?

Dr. Kenneth Cheng

In brief: Back strengthening

As one who has a bulging disc (and no surgery), back strengthening exercises are very important to help stabilize the back.
I recommend the "superman" exercise: lying on your stomach, stretch your arms out like you're flying through the air like superman. For 5 seconds, raise your right arm and shoulder, and left leg and hip off the floor, then repeat on the other side. Do this 12x on each side.

In brief: Back strengthening

Dr. Kenneth Cheng
Dr. Kenneth Cheng
Dr. Thomas Dowling
Orthopedic Surgery - Spine

In brief: First, bulging discs

Are not abnormal findings but exercise is great to control back pain with flexibility, core strengthening and cardiovascular conditioning as the basis while avoiding smoking and being overweight.

In brief: First, bulging discs

Dr. Thomas Dowling
Dr. Thomas Dowling
Dr. Eric Weisman