What is good about adhd ?

Dr. William Holmes
Pediatrics - Psychiatry
In brief: Mixed Picture
Kids or adults with adhd are often "high ennergy" people which can be helpful in certain situations.
They may also look at things in slightly different ways and bring new perspectives into a situation. However, it is easy to see how even these positives can create negative situations.

In brief: Mixed Picture
Dr. William Holmes
Dr. William Holmes
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Pediatrics - Developmental & Behavioral
In brief: Let's see
I think most of the symptoms of adhd are a pain in the neck to a person who has it.
The best outcomes i've seen are in kids whose families educate themselves and their child about what it means to have adhd. I try to get kids to understand and " own" their adhd by age 10, before puberty. Then they can use their " out of the box" thinking and creativity to their advantage as teens & adults.

In brief: Let's see
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Dr. George Valdez
In brief: Lots!
We all have strengths and weaknesses.
In some scenarios, adhd is a strength. When properly organized, can multitask better than others, put things together mechanically better, see the 'big picture' better. www.additudemag.com is a great resource.

In brief: Lots!
We all have strengths and weaknesses.
Dr. George Valdez
Dr. George Valdez
Dr. Johanna Fricke
CHADD.org sends members this very helpful periodical. Annual fees are low & well worth the money.
Dr. Dheeraj Raina
In brief: If miss troubles
If anything good is to come out of adhd, the severity of the condition should be mild-to-moderate, the sufferer should have above average intelligence, should grow up with healthy self esteem despite adhd, and should manage to reach adulthood with at worst minor behavioral problems and without substance abuse.

In brief: If miss troubles
Dr. Dheeraj Raina
Dr. Dheeraj Raina
2 comments
Dr. Alan Ali
With Tx/Counseling!
Some pretty brilliant people have ADHD.
Dr. William Goldie
Pediatrics - Neurology
In brief: More athletic?
Most boys prefer outside play to sitting and paying attention.
Great athletes often were considered adhd as kids. Some brilliant scientists were so bored by school they were labeled adhd. I consider it an inability to fit into our education system rather than a true disease.

In brief: More athletic?
Dr. William Goldie
Dr. William Goldie
Dr. Johanna Fricke
aap.org & sdbp.org have information on the validity of ADHD as a neurodevelopmental disorder.
Dr. Andres R Villar
In brief: Good ADHD?
The person is good, the underlying qualities, morals and abilities of that person are good, the frustrations, feelings of inadequacy, inability to regulate emotions, activity, impulses, and poor social relations are not.
People are not adhd, they have adhd, a serious often misdiagnosed and misunderstood disorder.

In brief: Good ADHD?
Dr. Andres R Villar
Dr. Andres R Villar
Dr. Alan Ali
In brief: ADHD
Best thing is following those youngsters as they mature, and with their high iq, it is quite rewarding to see them make such remarkable progress.

In brief: ADHD
Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Alan Ali
2 comments
Dr. William Holmes
Important to point out that the large majority of kids with ADHD have average to low average IQs. High IQs are not found in a disproportionate manner.
Dr. Johanna Fricke
So true, so true