What happens with breathing with sleep? Are rhythmic popping sounds (like 1-2 raindrops) normal in 92 yo? What about sighs and labored breaths/gasps?

Dr. Sanjay Kumar

In brief: 92 yo sleep issues.

My guess is that 'raindrops' maybe from postnatal drip or oropharyngeal secretions.
The gaspin and sighs are likely due to sleep apnea, from a central and obstructive cause. This is all that i can say without more info on this 92 yo! might have silent aspiration as well.

In brief: 92 yo sleep issues.

Dr. Sanjay Kumar
Dr. Sanjay Kumar
Dr. Keegan Duchicela

In brief: Breathing

Many things can affect what a person sounds like when they sleep - secretions in the back of the nose and throat, excess tissue in the throat, relaxation of muscles due to medicines or alcohol - much of which is harmless.
If there's anything going on while you're awake - coughing, fevers, difficulties swallowing, etc, then i'd make sure to get evaluated by your doctor.

In brief: Breathing

Dr. Keegan Duchicela
Dr. Keegan Duchicela
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology