How do physicians diagnose low-back pain?

Many Possibilities. Depending on how long it's been going on, i would consider an evaluation by a spine specialist. Using imaging studies and examination it can be determined. Sometimes it could be a muscle imbalance, early onset arthritis or scoliosis. Also could be a pinched nerve/herniated disc. Either way it might be good to figure it out and get appropriate treatment.
Exam and imaging. Low back pain is what you feel. What we diagnose is the cause of the pain. Most of us over the age of 50, and many younger, have back malformations that can cause pain. Some diagnoses are obvious to the trained ear, such as "my back hurts here and the pain radiates to there". Others need xrays or mri's so we can "see" inside you. See a trained specialist to get a diagnosis - before treatment.
Patient history. "listen to the patient ant he will tell you the diagnosis." osler. The most important part of any medical visit in my opinion is the history taking. The physical examination and auxiliary exams are also very important. For back pain, x rays and mris are very often helpful, but not always necessary. A good doctor will start with taking an adequate history and physical, moving on based on findings.
Depends on training. The avg md has basic training in musculoskeletal problems like back pain.History gives them clues, but there is strong reliance on technology to make the diagnosis for them.If the cause is too subtle for xray/mri to see, then a generic (useless) diagnosis is given.A good history & physical, though, incl osteopathic hands-on exam can often find such problems which can then be fixed by manipulation.