What are the causes of bowel and bladder dysfunction in a person with low back pain?

Dr. Jay Rosenfeld
Physical & Rehabilitation Medicine
In brief: See below
Bowel or bladder dysfunction is what we consider a red flag, meaning there is the potential for a serious problem in the spine.
It can mean compression of the lower spinal cord or multiple nerves in the lumbar spine. It can be seen with very large disc herniations as well as some other conditions that can cause nerve compression. If you have these symptoms, you should see your doctor right away

In brief: See below
Dr. Jay Rosenfeld
Dr. Jay Rosenfeld
Dr. Kenneth Cheng
In brief: Could be serious
Back pain with bowel or bladder dysfunction (i.
e. Incontinence) could indicate a serious nerve impingement or compression of the nerves that leave the spinal column, or of the spinal column itself. This could be a serious condition and should be checked by your physician immediately.

In brief: Could be serious
Dr. Kenneth Cheng
Dr. Kenneth Cheng
Dr. Laurence Badgley
General Practice
In brief: Various
My study of 20 young skateboarders with ibs & sacroiliac (sij) disorder found in all.
Pelvic ligament laxity was diagnosed by occupational disabilities guidelines criteria. My theory is that sij subluxation irritates pelvic parasympathetics, stimulating both bladder and colon muscle stimulation. See complete discussion on my chronic pain board at quora.Com.

In brief: Various
Dr. Laurence Badgley
Dr. Laurence Badgley
Dr. Eric Weisman