What are the causes of bowel and bladder dysfunction in a person with low back pain?

See below. Bowel or bladder dysfunction is what we consider a red flag, meaning there is the potential for a serious problem in the spine. It can mean compression of the lower spinal cord or multiple nerves in the lumbar spine. It can be seen with very large disc herniations as well as some other conditions that can cause nerve compression. If you have these symptoms, you should see your doctor right away.
Could be serious. Back pain with bowel or bladder dysfunction (i.e. Incontinence) could indicate a serious nerve impingement or compression of the nerves that leave the spinal column, or of the spinal column itself. This could be a serious condition and should be checked by your physician immediately.
Various. My study of 20 young skateboarders with ibs & sacroiliac (sij) disorder found in all. Pelvic ligament laxity was diagnosed by occupational disabilities guidelines criteria. My theory is that sij subluxation irritates pelvic parasympathetics, stimulating both bladder and colon muscle stimulation. See complete discussion on my chronic pain board at quora. Com.