Will I need to get an X-ray if I see a doctor for a throbbing low back pain?

Depends. Every person with back pain presents differently. If needed the Dr. Will order them.
Maybe. Unfortunately, xrays of the lumbar spine have a low correlation with the actual cause of the back pain. The radiation exposure is considerable and this test should be used conservatively. Mri has a higher correlation with the cause of pain. This link may be informative: http://www. Lower-back-pain-toolkit. Com/lower-back-pain-investigations. Html.
See below. In general, for those who strain their backs occasionally, it is not necessary to do an xray or mri. However, if I see someone whose back is not improving after about 6 weeks, I will usually order an xray first.
Yes. I would definitely x-ray your low back, pelvis, and hips. Of course along with a complete history and physical and possibly other diagnostic modalities.