My HDL is 24 and LDL is 163. Is it normal? What should I do?

Dr. Rick Koch
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: Needs treatment

If you already modified diet, exercise regularly and don't smoke & maintain an ideal body weight you need treatment as your HDL is low & LDL is high.

In brief: Needs treatment

Dr. Rick Koch
Dr. Rick Koch
Dr. Matthew Nelsen
Exercise 30 minutes 5 days per week.will increase your HDL. Some patients need medication. Niacin, a vitamin, can also increase HDL.
Dr. Michael Shapiro
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: Needs treatment

Your good cholesterol is low and your bad cholesterol is high.
This type of cholesterol profile is associated with the development of cardiovascular disease in the long run. The good news is that with preventive therapies (improvement in lifestyle factors +/- medications) you may be able to substantially lower your risk. I would advise that you talk to your provider about what you can do.

In brief: Needs treatment

Dr. Michael Shapiro
Dr. Michael Shapiro
Dr. James Underberg

In brief: Concerning

Low HDL in the setting of an elevated LDL cholesterol are both risk factors for heart disease.
Seen together like this, they do need to be addressed. Other risk factors such as hypertension, obesity, smoking can also impact these abnormalities. Bottom line, for levels such as these, a complete evaluation is needed . See your internist, family doctor or a lipidologist.

In brief: Concerning

Dr. James Underberg
Dr. James Underberg
Dr. Milton Alvis, jr
Preventive Medicine

In brief: Best Get Better Data

The values you have are for cholesterol, not lipoproteins.
Cholesterol is a fat molecule made by every cell. Cholesterol is promoted for low price but not correct & the ldl-c value is only estimated. Best check actual lipoprotein values: LDL alway in nmol/l (best 40. These are far better indicators. Best method for lipoproteins: NMR lipoprofile.

In brief: Best Get Better Data

Dr. Milton Alvis, jr
Dr. Milton Alvis, jr
Dr. Umesh Patel
Board Certified, Preventive Medicine