Will my baby have sickle cell disease if my partner and I carry the gene?

Dr. Joseph Torkildson
Pediatrics - Hematology & Oncology
In brief: Not necessarily
If you and your partner both have sickle cell trait, there is a 25% chance your child will be normal (not have sickle cell trait or anemia), a 50% chance they will have sickle cell trait (just like you and your partner), and a 25% chance they will have sickle cell disease.
Prenatal diagnosis is available early in pregnancy that will tell you what your child has.

In brief: Not necessarily
Dr. Joseph Torkildson
Dr. Joseph Torkildson
Dr. Padmavati Garvey
In brief: No
If you and your partner carry the gene for sickle cell disease then there is a 25% chance that the baby will have the disease.

In brief: No
Dr. Padmavati Garvey
Dr. Padmavati Garvey
Dr. Cindy Juster