I have back pain and a injury to l2, l3, L4 L5 on my spine. What kind of exercise is safe for me to do?

Dr. Vikas Patel
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Depends on the injur

It depends on the severity of the injury.
I generally recommend you avoid exercises that increase loading to your spine or impact activities. Thus, biking or elliptical machines or swimming are better than running. Also, no heavy weight lifting that loads your back such as squats.

In brief: Depends on the injur

Dr. Vikas Patel
Dr. Vikas Patel
Dr. Thomas Dowling
Orthopedic Surgery - Spine

In brief: A lot!

Lifestyle changes are important like not smoking, weight control and regular exercise.
You can use medication if no contraindications like ibuprophen or naproxen, try a back support, guided exercise & activity modification. If no better, then see your doctor for further evaluation and treatment. Exercise can include walking, elliptical and stairmaster machines to start and then increase it.

In brief: A lot!

Dr. Thomas Dowling
Dr. Thomas Dowling
Dr. Eric Weisman