Does abdominoplasty help with lower back pain due to herniated disc?

Dr. Shareef Jandali
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: Probably not
Abdominoplasty has been shown to help some individuals with spreading or separation of their anterior abdominal muscles, called rectus diastasis.
By suturing these back in the midline during an abdominoplasty, tension is taken off of the back musculature, alleviating chronic lower back pain. However, a herniated disc should be treated by a spine surgeon.

In brief: Probably not
Dr. Shareef Jandali
Dr. Shareef Jandali
2 comments
Dr. Bryan McIntosh
It is unlikely that abdominoplasty would improve lower back pain. A herniated disk requiring surgical treatment should be treated by a spine surgeon.
Dr. Gary Tuma
Abdominoplasty is not an operation indicated to treat lower back pain.
Dr. Todd Sisto
Breast Surgery
In brief: It may
but it may also transiently exacerbate it

In brief: It may
Dr. Todd Sisto
Dr. Todd Sisto
Dr. James Chappell
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: Possibly
I would not bet that abdominoplasty is going to help with pain related to a herniated disc, but it may help, depending on which disc.
I suspect that depending on the disc, the location and character of the herniation, and the amount of fat/skin removed, there may be some relief of pain. But I would not do an abdominoplasty just to try and treat back pain from a herniated disc.

In brief: Possibly
Dr. James Chappell
Dr. James Chappell
Dr. Thomas Dowling
Orthopedic Surgery - Spine
In brief: Depends on type
If the abdominoplasty is done to restore the abdominal musculature integrity, it may through helping to reestablishing the basis for core strength that can help to protect the spine and the discs by reducing load carried across the discs.
If it is done to just the non muscular soft tissues probably not unless there was a significant amount of tissue excised such as can be seen post gastric bypass.

In brief: Depends on type
Dr. Thomas Dowling
Dr. Thomas Dowling
Dr. Robert Stroup
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: Can help some
An abdominoplasty will not treat the root cause of the pain, but can improve support of the core by tightening loose rectus abdominis muscles.
So, it can help, in conjunction with a supervised program to specifically address the disc herniation.

In brief: Can help some
Dr. Robert Stroup
Dr. Robert Stroup
Dr. Otto Placik
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: Yes it may WARP
You can look up a procedure called the warp abdominoplasty which stands for wide abdominus rectus plication.
For patients with poor posture due to a rectus muscle diastasis causing excessive stress on the back, muscle approximation can cause some relief of back pain combined with physical therapy.

In brief: Yes it may WARP
Dr. Otto Placik
Dr. Otto Placik
Dr. Clark Schierle
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: Tummy tuck back pain
Possibly. If your back problems are being caused or worsened by the imbalance of your core, a tightening of the muscles and removing excess skin and fat may alleviate your symptoms.
These are components of a typical full abdominoplasty. Only your surgeon, in conjunction with your back doctor can determine if this is likely to help your particular set of circumstances.

In brief: Tummy tuck back pain
Dr. Clark Schierle
Dr. Clark Schierle
Dr. Buck Parker
Board Certified, Surgery