I've had 3 facet joint injections that were ineffective. What is usually the next course of treatment?

Dr. Jonathan Hyde
Orthopedic Surgery - Spine

In brief: Facet Injection

There are many causes of back pain.
Facet injections are used mainly for back pain syndromes that are felt to be caused by pathology from the facet joint. If such injections are ineffective, then the pain generating component of your back pain requires further investigation to determine further treatment options.

In brief: Facet Injection

There are many causes of back pain.
Dr. Jonathan Hyde
Dr. Jonathan Hyde
Dr. Richard Rosenthal
Pain Management

In brief: It depends

There are three primary causes of back pain-two from joints-facet, si and one from the intervertebral disc.
If a properly performed facet injection fails to relieve the pain, the other two causes are investigated. If the pain is one-sided and below the belt, then i would consider si joint injection to be the next step. If that fails, then an MRI would be ordered f/b a disco gram.

In brief: It depends

Dr. Richard Rosenthal
Dr. Richard Rosenthal
Dr. Mark Weston
Orthopedic Surgery - Spine

In brief: Look elsewhere

If facet injection didnt wok then those wher enot you pain genetor. Find anothwranother suspect I do anothervphysical exam look for tendeness a sign of active trigger points bone scancan locate the exact facet thats irritatedto help guide injection .
Discogenic pain next then si joint pain. Cobmpletws back pain work have to find pain to fix it.In the low back.

In brief: Look elsewhere

Dr. Mark Weston
Dr. Mark Weston
Dr. Adam Smith