What typically happens after facet joint injections?

Hard to say. Depends on your pain issue. Facet injections are helpful and can be long-lasting, however if your get short lived relief you may need to get evaluated for a radiofrequency ablation for longer lasting relief (greater than 1 year of relief is typical).
Diagnostic/therapy. 2 kinds of injection with 2 different goals---either you put steroid, lidocaine, bupivacaine in the facet joint or just block or num the nerves to the facet either way you are asked if you got pain relief and for how long to diagnose if the facet is the source of your pain--or repeat the injection for therapy---if we know this is your pain source radiofrequency to destroy nerves to facet to block pa.
Depends. This depends on why you got these injections and if they are a component of your back pain or a pain generator. Generally, you should be in your typical pain at the time of the injection to assess the results which are temporary if they help at all. If they do, you may be a candidate for a rhizotomy of the medial branch nerves that supply the joints tested for more longer lasting relief.