Is it okay to have 5 or more epidural lumbar spinal steroid injections in one procedure?

Dr. Peter Zimmerman
Pain Management
In brief: No
Three a year is outdated.
In the past, docs used to do a series of 3 esi's in sequence. Patients were limited to 3-4 "series of 3" per year. This is different from your question, which is how many injections should be part of one procedure. I typically do one or two injections at each sitting, which covers the targeted area. In the past 10 years, I have 3 in one sitting twice. 5 is excessive.

In brief: No
Three a year is outdated.
Dr. Peter Zimmerman
Dr. Peter Zimmerman
Dr. David Rosenfeld
Injection 5 sites at a time is excessive. I disagree with Dr Zimmerman that 3 is pushing it.
Dr. Albert Pizzo
In brief: Mult epidural
It depends. Talk with your doctor about this to find out the facts.

In brief: Mult epidural
Dr. Albert Pizzo
Dr. Albert Pizzo
Dr. Mark Weston
Orthopedic Surgery - Spine
In brief: No three in a year
Three a year is a common cut off.
Concerned about increased infx risk 1 % per injection complication rate now is 5% results don't change after the third many surgeries have a lower complication rate than your cumultive rate.

In brief: No three in a year
Three a year is a common cut off.
Dr. Mark Weston
Dr. Mark Weston