How severe is the pain typically after having a discogram?

Dr. Richard Rosenthal
Pain Management
In brief: Fairly severe
Of course it depends on the individual but if you have a painful disc, the procedure can make it hurt worse for a little while.
That's why i recommend that you have a plan in place beforehand to deal with the pain caused by the procedure. I recommend daily massage and opiate analgesics combined with an NSAID such as ibuprofen.

In brief: Fairly severe
Dr. Richard Rosenthal
Dr. Richard Rosenthal
Dr. David Hicks
In brief: Painful
The pain of the discogram is limited to the test itself and usuall does not linger after completion, the pain is intense as it simulats an acute ruptured disc but for a breif time if the test is positive surgery usualy will fix the problem.

In brief: Painful
Dr. David Hicks
Dr. David Hicks