What does it mean to have an anterior cervical discectomy fusion?

Joining bones. A fusion is eliminating a motion segment of the spine by making bones heal together. There are many different techniques used for a variety of reasons or indications. For this, the approach is from the front removing the intervening disc & replacing it with a piece of bone or a metal v plastic like cage filled with bone that may be secured with screws or plate & screws or no instrumentation.
Common procedure. An anterior cervical discectomy and fusion with instrumentation is a common procedure to address cervical disc herniations, degenerative spondylosis and occasional to treat instability from trauma. A fusion will eliminate the motion at the involved joint segments. Most patients do well. For very good information and videos, check out spine-health. Com.
Arm pain relief. Incision made on front of neck target disc removed space filled with bone from donor bone or your pelvis allowed to heal joining two bones together in neck stopping motion at one level 95%sucess rate2%complication.