I am having a discectomy on tuesday. What can I expect?

Dr. Larry Armstrong
Neurosurgery
In brief: Back soreness
I'm assuming here that you're having a lumbar microdiskectomy.
You will experience some incisional soreness, low back aching and pain which is easily managed with medication. If you are experiencing leg pain and numbness, the pain should be better quickly afterward. Numbness takes longer. Rest is the key. No excessive activity. Ice pak on the back helps. You should improve quickly. Good luck.

In brief: Back soreness
Dr. Larry Armstrong
Dr. Larry Armstrong
Dr. Thomas Dowling
Orthopedic Surgery - Spine
In brief: Usually relief
90 to 95% of correctly indicated disectomies in non smoking individuals who have failed non op care of at least 12 weeks with the leg pain the predominant symptom and an imaging study revealing the offending disc herniation have an excellent outcome if done by a surgeon who does them routinely.

In brief: Usually relief
Dr. Thomas Dowling
Dr. Thomas Dowling