I am having anterior cervical discectomy surgery next week on my C5 and c6/c7 (in my neck). How long does it take?

Dr. Chintan Sampat
Orthopedic Surgery - Spine

In brief: 2 to 4 hours

A 2 level anterior cervical discectomy and fusion procedure takes between 2 to 4 hours depending on multiple factors.
There is also additional time needed for anesthesia, positioning on the table, etc. Sometimes the surgical time may be significantly shorter or longer depending on patient size, the exact diagnosis, the severity of nerve compression, etc.

In brief: 2 to 4 hours

Dr. Chintan Sampat
Dr. Chintan Sampat
Dr. Thomas Dowling
Orthopedic Surgery - Spine

In brief: This varies on what

Is being done in terms of the surgery and also related to your body size in addition to any factors like prior surgery in the neck region, thyroid issues including enlargement or prior irradiation.
As well as the skill and experience of the surgeon. If a normal sized person with no prior issue to neck region with a surgeon who does this procedure regularly, it should take 2 hours of actual surgery.

In brief: This varies on what

Dr. Thomas Dowling
Dr. Thomas Dowling
Dr. Eric Weisman