Could the amount of pain pills I take affect how the anesthetics will work for me during back surgery?

The higher amounts or longer term use of narcotic pain medications used before an operation can affect the anesthetic use during surgery.
You need to be sure and inform your anesthesiologist so that they are aware and can plan accordingly.

Dr. Mark Hoepfner
Dr. Mark Hoepfner
Dr. Thomas Dowling
Orthopedic Surgery - Spine
This is called tolerance and you may require a higher dosage during the surgery as well as post operatively for pain control.
There are other techniques that can be used like intrathecal morphine and combinations of different medications. Speak to your surgeon and the anesthesiologist before your surgery about this issue.

Dr. Thomas Dowling
Dr. Thomas Dowling