Could I take prednisone to help heal from back surgery?

Depends. Steroids, such as prednisone, can be prescribed when back surgery is performed. The most common usage is to minimize nerve pain from swelling, but also to assist in nerve recovery in situations with severe pre-op and/or post-op weakness. If prescribed, it is usually for short-term usage. With long-term use, Prednisone may slow wound healing, raise blood sugars, and delay fusion maturation.
Steroids should be . Avoided as they may compromise wound healing, fusion healing if this was part of surgery & immunosuppress you raising the risk for infection. Sometimes it may be prescribed by your surgeon to control anterior neck swelling postop if surgery was in that location or for control of nerve inflammation if significant post op to warrant the use of this medication knowing the potential negative effects.