My son is suffering from epilepsy. How long does it take to cure. At present he is under treatment of neurologist and taking oral drug oxatol 450 bd?

In brief: ?Cure?

True epilepsy can be a lifelong problem. Some seizure disorders in childhood will disappear as the nervous system matures and be gone by adulthood.
The specific pattern for your sons illness is best determined by the treating physicians. Your questions are good ones & best answered by those who know your son well.

In brief: ?Cure?

Dr. William Goldie
Pediatrics - Neurology

In brief: Depends on cause

Up to 5% of all children with have seizures.
About 75% will outgo their disorder and be seizure free. About 15% will develop chronic epilepsy that can be difficult to manage. Many of those have serious underlying disease for which seizures are just a minor component. In my practice mris even of high quality are rarely helpful. Eegs and good clinical judgement are best.

In brief: Depends on cause

Dr. Philip Chao
Radiology

In brief: Most impt

Is to make sure there is good brain imaging done.
The best is a 3t 32 channel MRI system with 32 channel head coil. You can only ask for the best. You will get it only if you ask for it. If your son has uncontrollable (or controllable) seizures then they will try to ascertain the location of the seizure focus. I saw a case last week missed by two other scans.

In brief: Most impt

Dr. Eric Weisman