How do I prevent back pain due to sitting?

Dr. Kenneth Cheng

In brief: Correct posture

The seated position actually places up to 6x more strain to the low back than standing.
When seated, you can promote better posture by sitting at the edge of the seat, preferably with the knees lower than the hips. I also encourage patients to use a lumbar (low back) pillow to sit as if you were"pooching out" your stomach and sticking your chest out. Also, see my "back pain/strain" health guide.

In brief: Correct posture

Dr. Kenneth Cheng
Dr. Kenneth Cheng
Dr. Thomas Dowling
Orthopedic Surgery - Spine

In brief: This is most likely

A disc related problem as the discs of the lower back are subjected to a 4x body weight in sitting.
Therefore, try to avoid sitting in a low seat or one without a back support or arm rests. Also, you need to exercise regularly with an emphasis on core strengthening while staying trim and not smoking.

In brief: This is most likely

Dr. Thomas Dowling
Dr. Thomas Dowling
Dr. Vikram Patel