How different is sciatica pain from back pain?

Different symptoms. Back pain and sciatica may be related, or can occur independently. Sciatica describes the pain that radiates down the back of the thigh to the leg, most often due to a herniated disc in the low back compressing/irritating a nerve that contributes to the sciatic nerve. There are other causes of sciatica. There are also many different causes of back pain.
Back causes Sciatica. Usually you start with Back pain from a herniated disk or other pathology in the spine which then results in pain down the leg which is known as sciatica. Many times they go hand in hand...
Location of the pain. Sciatica can have both back pain and leg pain, but the leg pain is usually equal or greater then the back pain. Sciatica usually starts in the back and shoots down the back of the leg to the foot with numbness in the two little toes and weakness walking tip toes.