I have primary biliary cirhosis. Can i take Xanax (alprazolam) to help with alcohol withdrawal symptoms or will that damage my liver too?

Dr. Pamela Pappas

In brief: Biliary cirrhosis

Although it's a benzodiazepine and could be used, xanax (alprazolam) might not be the preferred medication to use in alcohol withdrawal.
It really depends on what your physician determines is safest for you, considering your entire state of health. Alcohol would definitely be more injurious to your liver than xanax (alprazolam). Sometimes medications must be reduced in dosage, in accord w/reductions in liver function.

In brief: Biliary cirrhosis

Dr. Pamela Pappas
Dr. Pamela Pappas
Dr. Arnon Rubin