What does it mean when an ice pack placed on my back stops the pain in my legs?

Dr. Thomas Dowling
Orthopedic Surgery - Spine

In brief: It means pain is

It means that the pain is referred from your back rather than radiating as would be the case with a sciatica or "pinched nerve.
" referred pain can be muscular in origin & the ice is acting on the muscles decreasing the pain level. Referred pain generally does not travel that far from its source of origin and is not caused by a pinched or compressed nerve.

In brief: It means pain is

Dr. Thomas Dowling
Dr. Thomas Dowling
Dr. Ahmad M Hadied
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: It is possible

The macules in your back are connecting and extending to the leg, so if you muscle injury in the back you may have leg pain and back pain, when you apply the ice on the back that soothe the muscle in the back which extend to the leg.
, the mucsle relax and the pain get relief in both.

In brief: It is possible

Dr. Ahmad M Hadied
Dr. Ahmad M Hadied
Dr. Arnon Rubin