What should I expect after arthroscopic knee surgery?

Quick Recovery. A sore and swollen knee for a couple days. Use crutches as needed for the first couple of days. Use ice readily over the first few days, and start early full range of motion early to reduce swelling and prevent stiffness. Minimize standing and walking until swelling and pain resolve. If swelling gone and range of motion normal, normal activities are allowed usually at 4 weeks post-op.
Some pain & swelling. Mild to moderate pain, gradually decreasing over a 1-2 month period for both. Physical therapy is important for most to augment recovery. Recovery always depends on the extent of the damage in the joint and the particular procedure performed. Note that success rates for those with knee osteoarthritis are unpredictable.