What can I do if my breasts are extra engorged?

Dr. John Rimmer
Surgery

In brief: Non steroidals

Breasts are often more engorged before a normal menstrual period or during pregnancy.
The cause is hormonal stimulation to the tissues. Caffeine can also make breasts more uncomfortable . Oil of evening primrose is a natural product that can help.

In brief: Non steroidals

Dr. John Rimmer
Dr. John Rimmer
Dr. Laura Webb

In brief: Manual pump

It can be difficult for your baby to latch if your breasts are extremely engorged.
If this is the case you may have to manually pump a little from your breast before attempting to feed your baby. Nurse only one side per feeding and this will help signal your body to produce less milk. Try not to stimulate or pump between feedings and this will help decrease the amount as well.

In brief: Manual pump

Dr. Laura Webb
Dr. Laura Webb