Am I too old to weight train at 38?

Dr. Kim Fagan
Sports Medicine

In brief: NO

Weight training has been shown to be advantageous as we age to help not just to build muscle but to off set what was once thought to be the natural atrophy or wasting of muscle with aging.
You never to old to start weight training. I would recommend starting with a weight that you could reasonably do 12-15 reps of 2 sets and pick a balanced set of upper and lower body exercises 3x/ week.

In brief: NO

Dr. Kim Fagan
Dr. Kim Fagan
Dr. Thomas Deberardino
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Never too old!

Safe weight training can benefit all adults, no matter what age.
There is no dogmatic cutoff for safe monitored weight training. All beginners like should be screened by their physician or appropriate health care provider prior to beginning such a program. Professional trainers can also assist in the correct weight traing techniques and tailor a program specific to your goals and abilities.

In brief: Never too old!

Dr. Thomas Deberardino
Dr. Thomas Deberardino
Dr. Ty Endean
I agree completely. All you have to do is look at people like Jack LaLane who lifted weights into his 90's.
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine