How long should I wait to lift weights after I have recovered from a hurt lower back?

Dr. Lauren Elson
Physical & Rehabilitation Medicine

In brief: Pain free and rehab

It depends on the nature of the injury.
Someone who is athletic should see a physiatrist to determine the diagnosis and to guide the rehabilitation. Subtleties like core strength and alignment should be evaluated. American college of sports medicine guidelines recommend no more than 10% increase in intensity, duration or frequency per week.

In brief: Pain free and rehab

It depends on the nature of the injury.
Dr. Lauren Elson
Dr. Lauren Elson

In brief: See someone

You should ask your doctor or physical therapist, if you have one.
Don't start up too fast. I had back surgery in 2011, and i had to wait 2 weeks to start pt. Yours may be a strain, but you should seek help before creating more problems.

In brief: See someone

Dr. Jeffrey Bassman
Dr. Jeffrey Bassman
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine