How can a sprain be cured?

Dr. Cassandra Lee
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: R.I.C.E. and time

A sprain will heal given time.
To alleviate symptoms in the acute period, r.I.C.E. Rest, ice, compression, elevation. Oral anti-inflammatories may help with swelling/pain. Once the swelling has decreased, begin working on range of motion. Gently progress to strengthening and gradually return to activities as tolerated.

In brief: R.I.C.E. and time

A sprain will heal given time.
Dr. Cassandra Lee
Dr. Cassandra Lee
Dr. Vasudha Kaushik

In brief: Rest, sunshine

Rest, ice/heat whichever feels better, bracing.
Getting 30-60 min of sunshine at noon time for faster recovery and pain relief since Vitamin D is a healing and anti-inflammatory hormone. Alternatively, take vit D3 10k IU/day for 1-2 months.

In brief: Rest, sunshine

Dr. Vasudha Kaushik
Dr. Vasudha Kaushik
Dr. Payam Rafat
Podiatry

In brief: Multifactorial

R.I.C.E. Rest, ice, compression, elevation.
Immobilization with a splint or brace may be of benefit in the initial phase of recovery. Oral anti-inflammatory medication may help with the pain and swelling. Once improved, mobilization and physical therapy can help restore strength and function.

In brief: Multifactorial

Dr. Payam Rafat
Dr. Payam Rafat
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine