How will I know when my groin injury has recovered and I can get back to soccer?

Dr. James Chen
Sports Medicine
In brief: Pain free resistance
Adequate rest for a groin injury is essential for recovery.
Once you are pain free with groin stretching, then advance to resisted groin exercises. If you can do this pain free, i would return to light jogging and ensure that the adductors are rock solid before returning to explosive sports. There is nothing worse than resting a groin pull and then reinjuring it due to inadequate rehabilitation.

In brief: Pain free resistance
Dr. James Chen
Dr. James Chen
Dr. Frank Holmes
Sports Medicine
In brief: Functional testing
First, you need to be pain-free with everyday activities.
Then, you may begin low-risk, cardio such as biking, elliptical or power walking. If no pain, then progress to light jogging. Then, move on to sprinting, followed then by changing directions/cutting. Finally, progress to soccer-related activities like dribbling and kicking. If you remain pain-free through all of these stages, you are ready.

In brief: Functional testing
Dr. Frank Holmes
Dr. Frank Holmes
Dr. Jack Hinkle
Board Certified, Family Medicine