How do I determine whether my athletic child is at risk for sudden death?

Dr. Shane Miller
Sports Medicine

In brief: Preseason Exam

While very frightening, sudden death is actually a rare event.
The best way to screen is to start by seeing your child's physician. They will review your child's history and the family history, looking for any warning signs. They will also examine your child's heart. If there is any cause for concern, further evaluation with an ekg, echocardiogram, or referral to a cardiologist may be recommended.

In brief: Preseason Exam

Dr. Shane Miller
Dr. Shane Miller

In brief: History and physical

If you have concerns see your pediatrician for a routine history and physical if he or she has a concern they will order more in depth cardiac exams/tests.

In brief: History and physical

Dr. John Callahan
Dr. John Callahan
Dr. Keegan Duchicela
Board Certified, Family Medicine