I have been taking Xanax (alprazolam) for 7 years. I feel like if i consult adoctor, (s)he will think that I am a drug addict. How do I starta dialogue with a psychologist or a primary doctor about this?

Dr. Alan Ali

In brief: Xanax (alprazolam)

When transfering care to another doctor, it is vital that both doctors communicate, for proper continuity of care.

In brief: Xanax (alprazolam)

Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Alan Ali

In brief: Xanax (alprazolam) for years

Assuming u have been prescribed xanax (alprazolam) by your doctor to combat anxiety, and u r transferring services to another doctor, it is best to be open & honest about your tx history & give the new doctor consent to get your medical records from the previous doctor, so s/he can be up to par & advise u re.
Treatment options.

In brief: Xanax (alprazolam) for years

Treatment options.
Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Cyma Khalily

In brief: STRAIGHT FORWARD

If the treatment is legitimately for panic and anxiety, it should not be an issue.
The problem is usually when the dose has to keep going up or the pills are used up before they are due or if there is other drug usage. The benzodiazepines can work very long term safely if monitored and taken properly.

In brief: STRAIGHT FORWARD

Dr. Cyma Khalily
Dr. Cyma Khalily
Dr. William Dailey

In brief: Seeking

If you have taken xanax (alprazolam) that long you are drug seeking.
You need to partner up with your doctor or an addiction specialist to get on something to control anxiety and wean off. In my experience withdrawal from xanax (alprazolam) provokes more anxiety than originally existed when starting it. I believe it should be used short term only just for that reason. Get help and you will feel better.

In brief: Seeking

Dr. William Dailey
Dr. William Dailey
2 comments
Dr. Pamela Pappas
Many patients have been kept on these medications by physicians who are too busy to look more deeply into the anxiety and encourage non-drug treatments (such as psychotherapy). It is very difficult to be a primary care physicain in 2012, with so little time for each patient encounter. Ending up on Xanax for 7 years may not necessarily mean a "drug seeking" patient, but does speak to how our medical system is responding inadequately to people with anxiety. I suggest a fresh look at this person's issues, more targeted treatment that might be needed, and possible Xanax taper and/or reworking of medication regimen. This could be a very good opportunity to get deeper help.
Dr. William Dailey
Dr. Papas I agree. My point is this patient is put is a seeking position which with my background I try to prevent. Everybody has their own "slant" on benzodiazepines. I just see them prescribed outside of what I would consider prudent. I was not trying to lame the patient although looking at my response it could be interpreted that way... If so I apologize.
Dr. Samuel Bayles
Pediatrics - Psychiatry

In brief: Long time

that is a long time for xanax (alprazolam).
most of us cringe when a client comes in requesting it, especially if they have been on it forever. most clients on xanax (alprazolam) are not willing to entertain other options that we know are safer and better long term solutions. as previously mentioned, have your records sent and allow MDs to speak. consider trying something different.

In brief: Long time

Dr. Samuel Bayles
Dr. Samuel Bayles
Dr. Eric Weisman