How long before exercising should I eat?

Dr. Judy Orton
In brief: Depends
Depends upon your food choices.
If it's a full meal then 1 or 2 hours to avoid gut distress. Digestion causes increase in blood flow to your stomach from your muscles. This would cause cramps if you exercise too intensely, thus the stay out of the water after lunch! however, many can eat a light meal, exercise then a small recovery meal. For me, pb&j preceding a morning run works great.

In brief: Depends
Depends upon your food choices.
Dr. Judy Orton
Dr. Judy Orton
Pathology
In brief: Your call
The truth is that if you're reasonably healthy and fit, it's more important that you exercise, period, and not avoid it or miss out on the fun just because you've eaten.
I have to tell you not to swim alone on a full stomach or at any other time. Beyond this, enjoy yourself.

In brief: Your call
Dr. Jennifer Haley
Dermatology
In brief: Think small
Eat 1-2 hrs before if you are having a regular meal.
I prefer 5-6 small meals a day and personally consume 1/2 fruit plus 20 grams of whey isolate protein 20 minutes before i exercise. A recovery meal with coconut water, glutamine, and another 20 grams of protein immediately after exercise is also recommended.

In brief: Think small
Dr. Jennifer Haley
Dr. Jennifer Haley
Dr. Keegan Duchicela
Board Certified, Family Medicine