Why do I get a sore throat after I run in cold weather?

Dr. Roger Palutsis
Sports Medicine

In brief: Cold, dry air

I would guess that this may be because of breathing in cold, dry air. This can definately dry out the mucosum of the throat.
Try using a scarf to breath through and see if that helps. Good luck.

In brief: Cold, dry air

Dr. Roger Palutsis
Dr. Roger Palutsis
Dr. Phil Zapanta
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: 2 possible reasons

1. You may be running with your mouth open.
This will lead to a sore throat as the cold, dry air hits the back of your throat. Try to breathe through your nose and exhale through your mouth while running. Your nose is designed to warm and humidify all inhaled air. 2. You may also have post nasal drip. This can increase in very cold weather as the lining in your nose is not working as well.

In brief: 2 possible reasons

Dr. Phil Zapanta
Dr. Phil Zapanta
Dr. Keegan Duchicela
Board Certified, Family Medicine