How do I know if I have compartment syndrome?

Dr. James Chen
Sports Medicine

In brief: Compartment syndrome

The hallmark signs of acute/early compartment syndrome are: -pain out of proportion to the injury -firmness of the muscle compartment -pain with squeezing of the compartment -pain with passive stretch of the muscles in the compartment -decreased sensation this is a surgical emergency and without emergent decompression can cause loss of limb function.

In brief: Compartment syndrome

Dr. James Chen
Dr. James Chen
Dr. Richard Vanis
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: See a doctor.

There is an invasive procedure to measure the pressures within the compartment with a catheter.
See a vascular or orthopedic surgeon. Vascular abnormaliites can be a source of symptoms of compartment syndrome especially in runners.

In brief: See a doctor.

Dr. Richard Vanis
Dr. Richard Vanis