How long does it take to mend a strained hamstring?

Dr. Thomas Deberardino
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Highly variable

No easy answer. Covering college football and athletes for years leaves me with the best advice to tell a coach querying when recovery and return to play is likely.
.."coach, we will evaluate the injury regularly and just have to take it day by day." mild strains can heal in days to weeks, while recurrent and more significant strains can take weeks to months. Mri helps grade severity of the injury.

In brief: Highly variable

Dr. Thomas Deberardino
Dr. Thomas Deberardino
Dr. Joseph Hermann

In brief: Six weeks

This is just a ballpark timeframe assuming a simple strain and no aggravating circumstances.
Consult a physical therapist to learn how to maximize healing in the shortest amount time.

In brief: Six weeks

Dr. Joseph Hermann
Dr. Joseph Hermann
Dr. Andrea Brand
Board Certified, Family Medicine