49 yrs old, just had a period 10 days ago. I'm on estrogen patch (.05) and prometrium (micronized progesterone) 100 mgs. Day 15 I start painful heavy bleeding w clots. Why?

Hormonal Imbalance. Since the average age of menopause is 51 years of age, it is possible that you had an ovulatory cycle[ one last egg] which "overtook" the body in stead of the hormonal replacement you were taking. It is also possible that you took your medication late which could have led to the bleeding. If it persists i suggest you see your gynecologist. If this is a one time episode, i would not worry.