Is there a type of physical therapist that deals specifically with sports injuries?

Yes. Just like physicians, some physical therapists specialize in treating athletes. Some therapists utilize certified athletic trainers to assist in the treatment of sports injuries. Most school, college, and pro teams coordinate the care of their athletes using pts and at-cs to treat and prevent injuries. Some add massage, manipulation (osteopathic or chiropractic), and other treatment modalities.
Some specialize. There are certainly physical therapists that specialize in the treatment of sports injuries. Most medium to large communities will have them listed in the phone book.
Yes. The professional that you're inquiring about is an Athletic Trainer. Athletic Trainers are licensed to evaluate and treat sports related injuries.