It is 11 months since i got serious tibia fracture , I have been operated , now there is a narrow hole with clear non smell discharge, what is it?

Dr. Ronald Krinick
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Seroma

Drainage is always of concern.
Need to be sure it is sterile. If bacteria is present you may need antibiotics. If the bone is involved you may need surgery.

In brief: Seroma

Drainage is always of concern.
Dr. Ronald Krinick
Dr. Ronald Krinick
Dr. Peter Ihle
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Sinus tract

With no odor there may b no infection but needs 2 b treated, as it can become infected.
I usually would follow the tract surgically 2 it's source ; take deep tissue cultures ; close the wound. As soon as the cultures r taken, i would start broad spectrum antibiotics ; change depending on the culture results 2 a proper antibiotic or 2none if negative.

In brief: Sinus tract

Dr. Peter Ihle
Dr. Peter Ihle
Dr. Steven Morgan
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Osteomyelitis

Based on length of time from injury if you have ongoing drainage this likely represents a deep infection and a chronic draining sinus.
You need to bring this to the attention of your treating doctor.

In brief: Osteomyelitis

Dr. Steven Morgan
Dr. Steven Morgan
Dr. Brian Badman
You probably have osteomyelitis and the hardware is going to need to be removed or exchanged. Your doctor will first want to make sure that the fracture is healed and likely will obtain further imaging which may include a CT scan looking for a sequestrum. You will likely require surgery and a course of IV and oral antibiotics. This can be serious and limb threatening so would urge prompt evaluation.
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine