How long can it take before the gas after laparoscopic surgery to go away?

Dr. Dennis Higginbotham

In brief: Varies

The gas will go away quickly in most cases.
The specific time will depend on a number of factors including how long was the surgery, what was done during the surgery, how heavy is the patient, how quickly can the patient be up and ambulating, etc. It can take anywhere from a few hours to a few days.

In brief: Varies

Dr. Dennis Higginbotham
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham

In brief: Depends

I do not know what gas you mean.
Gas from laparoscopic surgery is gone in 24-48 hours. Gas inside the intestines after surgery may be an ileus and can last as long as you take narcotic pain medicine that can cause gas build up & constipation. Eat lighter and smaller meals & use a laxative if needed.

In brief: Depends

I do not know what gas you mean.
Dr. Mark Hoepfner
Dr. Mark Hoepfner
Dr. Crystal Twynham
Board Certified, Surgery