What are the chances of surviving hairy cell leukemia?

Dr. Devon Webster
Internal Medicine - Oncology

In brief: Over 90%!

If I had to pick a leukemia to have, this would be the one.
Most patients go into remission permanently with their first cycle of a drug called cladribine. Patients who don't usually respond to a second cycle of treatment with the same drug, or to removal of their spleen. It's a curable leukemia! It's named for the hairy projections on the cells.

In brief: Over 90%!

Dr. Raymundo Romero
Internal Medicine - Oncology

In brief: EXCELLENT

In about 90% of people with hcl one treatment can put them in remission for a very long time. Although hcl is considered incurable, its prognosis is great, most live a normal lifespan. It is very important to have lifetime surveillance.

In brief: EXCELLENT

Dr. Steven Seres