What is the normal recovery period after a torn calf muscle?

3-4 weeks. The time it takes for a calf muscle to heal depend son how much of the muscle was torn. The best treatment initially is ice , compressi and nsaids.As soon as the pain subsides the athlete should start a vigorous stretching and strengthening program for the calf muscles including cardiovascular workouts in the form of a stationary bike. When better don't stop your stretching and strengthening progrm.
Pain/swelling 3-6 wk. Muscle tears within the gastrocnemius (calf) muscle are common in the age range of 30-50. Pain and swelling from blood accumulation within the muscle tear can take several weeks to subside. Physical therapy may be indicated to help regain flexibility, strength and normal gait after such an injury.