What enlarges lymph nodes on side of neck?

Many things. Lymph node enlargement (lymphadenopathy) may occur due to a large variety of factors like infections (bacterial, viral or fungal), immune disorders, drug reactions or malignancy (lymphomas, carcinomas). Correlation with your clinical history and a biopsy usually helps in further characterization.
Monitoring Centers. Lymphatic system absorbs/carries things too big to go into the arteries/veins like bacteria eaten by white cells and digested food. Lymph nodes "taste" the lymph for anything bad like bacteria/viruses/cancers, etc. When it detects a problem, it alerts the immune system and your body reacts. They enlarge in response to the inflammation they create when they react. They shrink when all is well.