What is the best treatment for a hamstring strain?

Rest and stretching. For a grade 1 or 2 strains recovery involves rest, stretching, and controlled strengthening. Icing and stretching afterwards can be done a few times a day. When pain free full range of motion is attained through stretching, you may progress to controlled strengthening that would include stationary bicycle and eccentric exercises.
Physical therapy. Physical therapy involving temporary activity modification, pain control, flexibility, strengthening, and sport specific exercises is the best treatment.