Approximately how long will a broken humerus be in a cast for?

Dr. Thomas Deberardino
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: 6-8 weeks in general

Not all humerus fractures are the same and require treatments specific to each patient.
Breaks in the middle of the bone are immobilized in a splint or cast or just a sling until the broken bone ends get "sticky" and begin to move slowly as one bone. Casts are converted to braces or slings once early adequate healing is confirmed.

In brief: 6-8 weeks in general

Dr. Thomas Deberardino
Dr. Thomas Deberardino
Dr. Eran Kessous
Sports Medicine

In brief: Cast?

I am not aware of many circumstances that a broken humerus should be is a full cast.
.. Various splints/braces are the preferred method of treating most non surgical humeral fractures. In general, broken bones heal in 6-8 weeks if no complications occur. If your doctor put you in a cast for a non complicated humeral fracture you may want to seek a second opinion.

In brief: Cast?

Dr. Eran Kessous
Dr. Eran Kessous
Dr. Andrea Brand
Board Certified, Family Medicine