Can I have eswl done on a 4mm kidney stone? I do not want to pass it myself.Can i request to have eswl?

Dr. James Lin
Urology

In brief: Yes, possible, but..

If the 4-mm stone is indeed inside kidney, before proceeding with rx, one would need to review prior hx of stone passage if being a recurrent stone former so to decide if it's worthwhile to intervene, since some 75-85% of that size would travel through ureter in 2 wks.
The focus of care is how to minimize suffering and cost. Eswl can be done, but necessary?

In brief: Yes, possible, but..

Dr. James Lin
Dr. James Lin
Dr. Ankush Bansal

In brief: Yes but

Yes you can request it but if it's not obstructing the urinary tract, it's not generally done.
If it's not indicated, your insurance company will likely refuse to cover it which means you will get stuck with the bill if it's done.

In brief: Yes but

Dr. Ankush Bansal
Dr. Ankush Bansal
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine