Are rotator cuff injuries best healed with therapy or surgery?

Cuff injuries. .. Cuff injuries aren't all the same and aren't all treated the same way. Some injuries respond well to non-operative treatment with resolution of pain and without loss of function while many require surgery to alleviate pain and/or restore strength and motion. An orthopedic surgeon experienced in the treatment of these injuries is most qualified to help you decide what the best treatment is for you.
Tear type dependent. Symptomatic tears that are partially torn (<50% of thickness) can be effectively treated without surgery. Complete tears are commonly treated with surgical repair. I always remind patients that we treat their tear and not the mri, because patients respond differently to different rotator cuff tear patterns. Asymptomatic tears certainly deserve a trial of nonoperative treatment and rehabilitation.