Can a shoulder stop producing cartilage?

Dr. Kevin Stone
Sports Medicine

In brief: Cartilage repair

Yes. In arthritis the cartilage is often worn away and not replaced.
Nutrition for the cartilage includes glucosamine and ha injections. Surgery can repair and sometimes generate regrowth of some cartilage repair tissue.

In brief: Cartilage repair

Dr. Kevin Stone
Dr. Kevin Stone
Dr. Brian Badman
Orthopedic Surgery

Cartilage can wear. Unfortunately the cartilage on our shoulders is very thin.
It is occasionally difficult to discern how much wear there is even on MRI as I have been fooled on several occasions as to the extent of the wear seen at the time of arthroscopy which is probably the best way to see early stages. Once the cartilage is gone it is gone. It will not regenerate.

Dr. Brian Badman
Dr. Brian Badman
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine