I have a rash on my stomach, it itches a little but is also painful. Its just a few red bumps. What could it be?

Dr. Michael Fisher
Dermatology

In brief: Shingles

After you get chickenpox, the virus remains inactive (becomes dormant) in certain nerves in the body.
Shingles occurs after the virus becomes active again in these nerves years later. The reason the virus suddenly becomes active again is not clear. Often only one attack occurs. Shingles may develop in any age group, but you are more likely to develop the condition if: your immune system is weak.

In brief: Shingles

Dr. Michael Fisher
Dr. Michael Fisher