I've never had a cavity and always take great care of my teeth. Now I have lupus, got gum swelling and lost a back tooth. Could lupus be the cause?

Possibly, but rare. It sounds more like periodontal disease. You state that you take great care of your teeth and never had a cavity. That is great, but you did not state whether or not you see a dentist regularly. If you do not then the swelling gums and lost tooth is most likely due to periodontal disease and not lupus. If you see a dentist regularly then go to see him/her and get this checked out.
Possible association. Lupus could have been associated with the tooth loss. Was there bone loss and a loose tooth? Do you regularly see your dentist? Did the tooth have a fracture? Sometimes it's hard to pin the cause on any one factor. Talk to your dentist about this lupus situation.
Auto-immune. As you know lupus is an auto-immune disease. Determining what caused the swelling and tooth loss requires you to see a periodontist (gum specialist) to see if this was also an auto-immune problem, or another type of gum problem. Please ask your dentist for a referral.
Lupus Diagnosed? Have you already been diagnosed with lupus? If so, yes it could be a factor. If not, it is not very high on the list of possibilities by itself.